Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Why my summer job puts yours to shame...

I work at ClubSport Oregon Kidsworld, it is basically the best job in the world. Kidsworld is the daycare at ClubSport Oregon, we watch children while their parents use the club. Here are the first twenty reasons why I love my summer job!

1. The semi-dramatic staff-adds an element of pure entertainment. I mean hearing stories about some of the things people have done, oh I love it!

2. I get paid to play with kids, to act like a kid, and sometimes to just sit in a room holding an adorable baby.

3. The members scandals...I can't tell you how many members have left their spouse for another person, leaving behind trails of dirt that make it impossible to not know the story. Its really awesome when they go through two wives, both of which are still members of the club and see them regularly.

4. Walking into a room and hearing "Hello Teacher" "Wanna play with me?" or anything else that the kids say.

5. Having a mom drive past you as you walk out to your car, stop, backup and roll down her windows just to tell you that as she drove past, her youngest little girl says "mommy I really love that girl", and her older daughter say "Yeah me too". Breaks my heart to hear things like that.


6. When you babysit for kids one night (where they just sleep and see you for maybe a grand total of 10minutes) and you see them the next day and they remember you. Every time you walk in the room they run up and grab your legs. When you are finally zoned in the room with them, they want to play with you the whole time. So then when its time to go, you say "OK I have to go home now, I will miss you" And they respond "No I don't want you to leave me. Stay!" I don't even know why the kid likes me so much, but I don't mind it.

7. Free membership to one of the best fitness clubs in Oregon.


8. 25% discount on food in the restaurant, which is all delicious.

9. I can get as many hours or as few hours as I want...there are always people willing to cover shifts, and always people who don't want to work.

10. As you might already know...I really like to be in charge/in control of things, so when at 16 years old I was allowed to supervise Parents Escape (the night the parents drop off their kids and leave) I knew the job was meant for me.

11. Awesome hours, I mean it is not possible for me to ever work before 7:30am, or after 8:15pm (unless it is P.E. which goes until 9:45pm). But this really beats working until midnight, or later (*cough* Catering), or having to to bring work home and finish it along with all the other things I have to do (ummm...Biology).

12. Extremely simple and fun, yet never boring. OK sometimes its boring, but you have the choice to make it as fun as you want it to be.

13. I have to opportunity to see the look on parents faces when I make their day with a hilarious story about their kid.

14. Waking up babies because their parents are there to pick them up and watching their faces as they try to figure out what is going on.

15. Opens the door to the BEST babysitting jobs ever!!! (Well almost the best, babysitting my nieces and nephews still wins)

16. You see different kids everyday, and they are only there for two hours, so if you get tired of them, you can count down the time until they leave, but usually another kid you like comes and distracts you.

17. You get to sing little babies to sleep.

18. SO many twins!!! I love twins! Right now we have like 7 sets of twins that come consistently.

19. Bubbles!! I get paid to blow bubbles and watch the trance that comes over children when they see the bubbles.

20. The uniform, I know a lot of people that have to wear ridiculous uniforms to work. Usually they are either embarrassing, uncomfortable, or smell funny. Mine uniform consists of black Adidas Warm-Up pants, a blue jersey, a black Adidas zip-up jacket, and Adidas tennis shoes...comfortable, fairly normal looking, and don't smell bad (unless you don't wash them, but that's your fault then).

Don't worry, there will be more!

Until later,
Happily Employed

No comments:

Post a Comment