Wednesday, May 26, 2010

The Invasion

I have this little fear of things being in my personal space (like my bedroom, or bathroom) that just don't belong there. I mean its one thing for inanimate objects to be out of place, but it is an entirely different story when it is living. Don't get my wrong, I love insects and spiders, but only when they are in a jar, outside (no where close to touching me), or dead. I don't go stomping around in their bedrooms (at least I try not to) so they have absolutely no right to invade mine!

My bedroom at home had always seemed to be a hot spot for spiders to go on such missions. I am not sure why, but this has always been the case. Just since I have been home from college, there have been two found in my room, and the only spiders I had in my room at school were because of my Nature Experience and were safely double bagged and dead.

Two nights ago occurred one of these battles...
I was lying in bed reading Pride and Prejudice when I glanced up and saw the invader. I threw the book to the side, remembering to save my place of course, and jumped out of bed. I knew that my dad was still awake so I thought I would pull a "daddy will you save my from the big nasty spider card". It worked, we pulled out our weapon of war (the Swiffer) and proceeded to the site of the battle. Swiffer in hand, my dad made the first strike, slamming the head of the Swiffer onto the ceiling, which was a mere causality because of our textured ceilings. So a second strike was made, this time in addition to the initial hit a sliding motion was added (in effort to move the spider to a more convenient killing location). However, all that happened was the spider fell from the ceiling and could not be located. My father insisted that it was dead, however, I could feel the 12 little beady eyes still watching me and waiting till the coast was clear. Upon deciding I could not give up the search, I got down on my hands and knees and looked everywhere under and around my nightstand. It was difficult to see under the nightstand in the dark, however after much searching, I spotted the enemy, he was hiding in the shadow by the leg of my nightstand. Taking the Swiffer, I struck a blow onto the carpet but the nasty little thing merely used the carpet padding to reduce the impact. He then moved to a much larger "safe zone" under the nightstand. I then found his new location, and prepared to strike again, when this strike was carried out, I added more pressure to compensate for the carpet. That's when I heard the Swiffer crack, and break....causing a serious advantage for the spider. However, reinforcement came when my father returned to check on the situation. It turns out we had to pull out the nightstand to find the spider and my father killed him with his bare hands. I then put the nightstand back, said some heartfelt prayers that I would be safe from spiders, and went to bed.

I swear that somewhere in my house is a spider military headquarters, and they keep sending in bigger and quicker men to attack my room. I can just hear them now, "Another man down, we are going to have to up our forces and try again, lets send in the big guns". You might think this is ridiculous, however, I am quite positive that I am right. And how do I know this? Well you see...yesterday I was taking a shower, blissfully unaware of any spider activity, when I turn off the water, reach for my towel, look up and see a freaking huge spider right above the towel rack. And I don't know about you but I think there is just something wrong about that, I mean the two places I go and close my eyes for extended periods of time are the two places that they decide are great to explore, NOT OK with me! I mean its just wrong! Morally, and ethically wrong.

I am now determined to clean every surface of my bedroom (walls, carpet, ceiling, closet, and dusting everything) just to be sure there is not a permanent base anywhere. I have also considered bug bombing the room, but that just smells and would probably give the spider eggs immunity to it and make them stronger and harder to kill (and we all know that would not be good thing). SO for now I will continue cleaning and destroying any intruders I come across.

Until later,
Invaded

No comments:

Post a Comment