Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Source of the Name

Many people ask where the name Matha Trigg comes from. No, it is not missing an R. No, I am not a math genius. Yes, my pseudo middle name is Lily. Yes, many people have believed this is my real name, but, not it is not. You see the name comes with a story... an all together simple story. However, it seems to have withstood the test of time...thus far at least...as of yet, it is the only name other than my given name that has stuck. The story goes a little something like this...

Phase 1: The first name

At a mere 15 years of age, I went to Especially for Youth (more commonly known as EFY) with my friends Susanna, Aubrey, and Kelsey. EFY is a church camp for youth 14-18 years old. My favorite place to go to EFY was in Tacoma, WA at Puget Sound University. So as could be expected, the most important thing there was finding some hot older guy to crush on, I had my share (one for each year)...lets see there was Nick (the dreamy pianist), Tyler (the awkwardly cute boy from the middle of nowhere), and Kory (the older and more mature counselor)..but that's not really part of the story. Anyways, the first year I went, was the year that math camp was being hosted on the same campus. I don't know about you but math camp isn't exactly my idea of summer vacation. And being the immature 15 year olds that we were, we found it hilarious to mock the math genius' (never to their face, but amongst friends). So at lunch one day we were goofing around and somehow came up with the hilarious idea to walk up to a math camper and introduce ourselves as Matha (with as hick of an accent as you could get).

Phase 2:Finishing the name

I am not sure if it was the same summer, or a year later, but the rest of the development occurred at Girls Camp. I recall being on our yearly hike with Aubree Lee, Susanna Gardner, and Aubrey Wiggins. We were talking to an elderly gentleman we liked to call Papa Roo (not sure where his name came from). But we convinced him that I was named Matha Lily Trigg, with a boyfriend named George. We had tons of detail about my alternate identity that I don't remember now, but the important thing that came from this all was the full name.

Phase 3: Trial

During my sophomore year of high school, the choir travelled to Jamestown, VA to sing at the 400th Anniversary of the Settling of Jamestown. While we were there a chaperon asked for our names, I think it was something to do with getting money back for lunch. Anyways, being the brat that I am, I told her my name was Matha Trigg with as straight a face as I could muster. And it worked, she believed me. And it became official, the name was the perfect alias.


That is about it for the development of my pseudonym Matha Trigg. I use it in any situation I deem worthy of a fake name...creepy people I meet, awkward situations, times when I am just bored and feel like messing with someones head, etc. I believe everyone should have a backup name just in case. I know mine....do you know yours?

Until later,
Matha Trigg

No comments:

Post a Comment