Saturday, May 29, 2010

When I grow up I wanna be...

...I wish I knew...

About a month ago I finished my first year at Brigham Young University. It was amazing, I met the most amazing friends! And was blessed so many times. I can't even begin to give justice to all the blessings I received at school. I mean the car, my roommates, my jobs, understanding what I was studying, having enough time, getting to play Belle, etc. And no I was not blessed with the stereotypical BYU experience of being proposed to during my first semester...thank heavens (literally)! And unfortunately they do not hand out personalized liahonas that point us to the correct major and eternal companion, so now I am left to figure it all out on my own!

Here are the ideas I have come up with so far:

1. Music with emphasis in vocal performance- Singing is one of the most important things in my life, I don't know where I would be without it. However there is not a whole lot you can do with a degree in music except teach(and seeing as how most schools are cutting their music programs this would be difficult), or perform (and since I doubt I could ever make it big in the music industry this is not a very plausible idea). So getting this degree would be more just for the sake of getting the degree and mastering the art and talent I have been given.

2. School of Family Life with emphasis in human development- I love little kids! They are so amazing, full of love and light. Working with little kids has always been one of my greatest joys. My only hesitation is that if I get this degree at BYU I look like the typical girl that is really just looking for her RM and who just wants to be the perfect little wife and mother. Don't get me wrong, I want to get married, and have children but I hate it when people just try to meet everyone's expectations instead of figuring out who they really are. I know that I would get this degree with the right reasons but I don't want people to assume I am just some ditsy little girl.

3. Biology-Last semester I got a job as a Biology 100 TA for Dr. Riley Nelson. It was one of the biggest blessings of my college experience. I had never really considered this as option before I got the job, but now that I have it I realize how much I love it. I remember in high school spending hours studying biology (drawing out the charts, and rewriting all the definition, etc.). I love that I can look at things and question why they work the way they do, and I love that biology gives us a lot of these answers. I love how it all is so intricate and ornate. I would love to travel to beautiful places around the world and just learn about nature and the life there.

4. Business- This idea comes from always wanting to grow up and go to work in New York City in my pencil skirt and adorable blouse. I can just see myself working in a big building in the big city and loving every minute of of it. However, I am a little worried that it is not as glamorous as it all seems, and for all I know I could end up hating it.

5. Recreational Management- I would love to be an event planner and decorate weddings, dinners, or anything. This would probably be the most stressful but rewarding of all the ideas I have. I mean to watch everything you have planned come together (not perfectly) but to come together and to somehow work out is amazing. I know I could do something with this degree but I also know it would be difficult to get going with it.

6. Law- Ever since I watched Legally Blonde for the first time, I have wanted to be a lawyer. I find it fascinating how laws work, and I see so many flaws in our current system that I would love to be able to help correct. However, I don't know if I really want to be in school that long...

Six options and I still have no clue as to which one I should pursue. So for now I have been taking classes that are just general education (not even directing them towards any particular major). I am completely at a loss...

Until later,
Undecided

1 comment:

  1. Well... my darling little sister... you can always start down one path and then change later. I would even suggest that you get two degrees but I would stay away from 4 and 6 for sure. I think Biology with music will make you the happiest. Family Life is a lesson you will learn on your own terms and nothing can prepare you for the joys of a family. Plus sometimes ignorance is really bliss. Recreational Management is fun and I can see you doing really well with it in the long run but I also think you can do it without the education (look at Mom). Those are my two cents! I love you!

    ReplyDelete