Monday, July 18, 2011

It only takes one person to make a difference.

Coming home for the summer was a little different this year. For one thing I actually wanted to stay in Utah but expenses outweighed opportunity, so I had to come home! Second, I felt like everyone else was staying and I would miss out on fun and friends, which for a while was true. And third, I felt like I wouldn't have any friends at home to hang out with. Nevertheless, I came home. For the first two months I filled all my time with work, babysitting and family because I didn't want to feel lame because I had free time and nothing to do! However, it all changed when I met a wonderful girl at church! Amber saying hello to me and inviting me to a crape party was one of the biggest blessings of the summer! Since meeting her I have made some wonderful friends, borrowed someones socks, danced like a fool, discovered the wonder of $5 movies, jumped in the Tualatin river, and learned how to throw a Frisbee. I never realized how much one kind person can make a difference.

People like Amber make me want to be the same. I smile and say hello to people I met one time, I try to make people feel welcome, I try to invite people...I know its silly but after seeing how much of a blessing it was for me, I just want to return the favor to others. A warm smile, a gentle greeting, a friendly face.... all these things can completely change how a person feels. They made me willing to try new things on my own. They all helped me to feel comfortable enough to be myself. It all started with one person. Never underestimate your ability to help someone. Never let an opportunity to make a friend pass you by. I once heard someone say, "There is no such thing as a stranger, just friends you haven't met yet".

Until later,
A friend

No comments:

Post a Comment